Tuesday, April 19, 2005

SMK teachers' haikus - 19/4/05

Introduction

Form 5 and 6 SMK teachers wrote haikus and concrete peoms at the end of a literature workshop in the PPD on 19th April 2005. Unfortunately, it is not possible to reproduce the concrete poems as their shape is lost.

1 The classroom,
hot and stuffy,
makes us sleepy.

2 The students,
bored and tired,
sleep at their desks.

3 The teacher, harried and hazzled,
teaching in rain,
shouting.

4 The teachers are confused,
faced with 2 different objectives:
to teach their students to enjoy lit., or pass exams.

5 Making literature meaningful?
Sounds great and wonderful, and I am hopeful,
wishing my students would like it too.

6 My head is spinning.
My eyes are sleepy.
My stomach is growling.

7 The flowers are blooming.
The birds are chirping.
What a beautiful morning.

Siti Rafah Mohamed
SMK Sg. Acheh

8 Roses are lovely,
feeling the air,
with their sweet scent.

9 A crab on the beach,
talking to his son.
"Son, walk straight'.

10 If I were to realise you,
I would not be here,
for we will be one.

11
If
I
we
re
to
re
al
ise
u,
I'd
n
o
t
b
he
re
4
we
will be one

Vijay

12 Walking along the road,
I saw a child
in a bright red dress.


13 When morning breaks,
everyone awakes,
to start off her day.

14 Life is lovely.
It is not a bed of roses,
but it is lovelier than roses.

15 Do suffering and hardship
belong to the poor,
laughter and happiness to the rich?